Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Skin

The topic of Elmo's World today was skin. Jackson watches Elmo right before we leave each day while I finish getting ready. I have no idea what they said.

We got in the car and he asked, "Mommy, do I have skin?" I explained that he did; that skin covered his body. This really disturbed him at first, but then he got used to the idea. He wanted to know why he had skin.

Trying to explain the idea of skin to an almost three year old is a little difficult. I told him that when you get a paper cut or a boo-boo, it is your skin that is hurt. I said that it is skin that covers all of the parts of your body - hands, tummy, feet, etc. Still not so sure. I finally explained that skin is like a bag - it holds all of the stuff in your body in. That seemed to do it for awhile.

But now he is completely obsessed with the concept of skin, who has it, and avoiding hurting it. His skin was afraid of going up the porch steps at Ms. Kathy's.

Elmo, what's next?

No comments: