Monday, September 1, 2008

Surgery

Tomorrow AM is my little man's surgery. He is finally going to get his potties fixed. I have prepped him the best I know how without explaining the technicalities (ie exactly HOW Dr. McKenna is going to fix his potties).

He knows he, daddy and I are going to the hospital. He is going to get a special night shirt and get in a cool bed with wheels. They are going to give him medicine to help him take a nap, and then Dr. McKenna is going to fix his potties. When he wakes up, mommy and daddy will be there, and his "bottom" might hurt some, but that we will have medicine for it.

I have not quite yet prepared myself. Not being much of a drama queen (or at least not wanting to be), I have pretty much convinced myself this will be the routine procedure that everyone says.

But I fear them taking him away from me. I fear watching them stick his little arm with a needle while awake, but I fear them sticking him with a needle without me there. Maybe they can give them a go to sleep drink, and then do the IV stuff. I hope?

This is a co-called "children's hospital", [but I also worked with the health care committees in the IL General Assembly when some lobbyist friends of mine managed to manipulate a loop hole and get pretty much any hospital designated as a children's hospital in IL to improve their Medicaid rates before the feds got wise and stitched that loop hole up - there are only 2 "real" children's hospitals in IL, and this is not one of them] so hopefully they are more than a wagon and cool paint on the walls and do this every day.

He will be okay. My little man is tough. We will have blankey and puppy and I have fruit snacks in my purse, and two new surprise movies ready to greet him when we get home. I am sure he will blow my mind, and somehow be dancing tomorrow night in the living room singing, "I like to move it, move it." with the guys from Madagascar as I am begging for sleep. Because like Lisa, I am sure I am not sleeping tonight.

No comments: