Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Year 2 - Almost a Pro

Tonight was Fee Night at our school. Last year I remember being nervous, disappointed, let down.

Tonight I felt slighly more inconvenienced, BUT also much more like I belonged.

Tonight:
  • I recognized several parents from church and we chatted in the line that streamed out into the parking long, and talked with the host of the Ladies' Night Out pre-party.
  • Father Hoefler recognizes me as "the little guy's mom" and knows that somehow I am friends with our new deacon.
  • Our soccer coach's wife (really the coach for most last season) was doing the monthly teacher appreciation lunch, and we quickly worked to fix Jackson's soccer registration that the Y set up.
  • I chatted with the new full day preschool teacher, who is the wife of a former colleague.
  • I did NOT get sucked into dropping an obscene about of money on school Script (gift card program) like I did last year, BUT did pick up forms for both sets of grandparents and Aunt Lori (they have freer cash and will spend $ at the grocery, etc.).
  • Skipped all of the other tables, each of which require separate checks (uniforms, mandatory school ordered supplies, hot lunch tickets, etc.) and was happy about it.
  • Did not linger to see what I could get involved in.

This year I have my established group. I am starting to fit in much more. I think it is going to be a good year, or 9.

No comments: