Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Prayers for Grant

Grants dad, Jim, is the second from the left; Grant's mom, Shannon is the second from the right in the back row.


My best friends' nephew was born today - Grant Jospeh Stumm, the second son of Jim and Shannon Stumm of the Chicagoland area.

Grant was diagnosed in utero with AVM, and his near term birth, along with improving diagnosis as the pregnancy progressed are all great news.

I don't know all of the details, but from what I understand, his prognonsis is very good, but I believe he will need very serious surgery. Dad reported that "other than the AVM issue" he otherwise is a perfectly healthly little boy.

Perhaps Aunt Jen can fill in details (I am getting occasional feeds from Grandpa Dave) as they come, but I am sure that the entire Stumm clan would appreciate any prayers for their newest child/brother/cousin/grandson/nephew (#14, I think?).

BREAKING NEWS - Message from Grant's Daddy

Subject: Great News!
In a stunning turn of events, the doctors say that Grant will get to come home with us! Assuming all goes well from now until discharge, the neurosurgeon told us this afternoon that he consulted with Cardiology & Dermatology and everyone is in agreement that Grant can be treated on an outpatient basis (after he goes home). They'll continue to monitor his heart and treat what is now called a Hemangioma (not an AVM as originally thought) here, while stays in the NICU. The hemangioma is large and visible on the back of his head and neck. They're thinking maybe we'll get to go home on Friday, depending on how he is and how Shannon feels.


It truly hasn't 'settled in yet' but we are super happy and sure glad we brought the car seat! Feel free to give us a call, we won't be annoyed!


Thank you so much for your prayers, thoughts, calls, emails, texts during all of this. Even the head of neonatology said we were quite lucky with this!


Jim Stumm

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Good news on the breaking news, but I will still say a prayer for their little miracle!

JaxMom said...

Thanks, Lisa.